Spir named ACC Player of the Week | News
Greensboro, N.C. -- Georgia Tech senior Juan Spir has been named the Atlantic Coast Conference Men's Tennis Player of the Week announced Tuesday. Spir totaled five wins in singles and doubles play last weekend's Illini Open in Fort Meyers, Fla.
Spir and doubles partner Virkram Hundal, the nation's third ranked double team, swept their matches at three day tournament, which included a win over the No. 45 duo of Florent Diep and Michael Alford of Florida.
In singles action, Spir, who is ranked No. 32 in the ITA singles rankings, went 2-1 in the first weekend of the spring season. After Spir defeated Illinois' Tim Kopinski (5-7, 6-4, 6-4) on the opening day of play, he rallied to beat NC State's Robbie Mudge (6-7 (4-7) 6-4, 6-3) on the second day of competition. His lone loss of the tournament was to Florida's No. 26 Diep.
Georgia Tech returns to action Friday when it opens the new Ken Byers Tennis Complex with two matches against Old Dominion (1:30 p.m.) and Lipscomb (7 p.m.).
Upcoming Events near Midtown
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Blank, MLS Commissioner welcome Atlanta's appetite for soccer
- Center for Puppetry Arts to Display Iconic Mask and Puppets Featured in Disney’s THE LION KING
- Heros4Heros Fun Run and Healthy Heroes Festival
- Fulton County Workforce Development Offers Employment Assistance to 16 – 21 Year Olds
- Publix Georgia Marathon & Half Marathon Will Attract Thousands to Atlanta for Eighth Annual Running