Our network

Police shoot armed gunman outside Midtown nightclub | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Police shoot armed gunman outside Midtown nightclub

ATLANTA -- Two men were shot, one by police early Thursday morning in the Midtown neighborhood, outside nightclubs on Crescent Avenue. 

The shootings happened around 2:45 a.m. in the 1100 block of Crescent. 

Homicide Commander Paul Guerrucci of the Atlanta Police Department said officers were working routine crowd control as the clubs were closing. He said officers were flagged down by some people who saw a fight break out in an adjacent parking lot among a group of people.

Atlanta police officers found a man shooting a handgun in the parking lot. That man, around 25 years old was shot in his chest by police. Another man was shot in his leg by someone else in the parking lot. 

Both victims were taken to Grady hospital, including the armed gunman who was shot by the officer. He was in critical condition, the other man was stable.

Officers found two guns in the parking lot. 

RELATED | Chaotic Midtown melee ends in police shooting
MORE | Atlanta nightclub investigation leads to arrest of owner, employee

TRACK CRIME WHERE YOU LIVE | Interactive neighborhood crime map

"During that fight between that group of people, shots were fired so officers responded to the area and they actually encountered an armed gunman," Guerrucci said. "Additional shots were fired, subsequent to those shots being fired, we know that two people were injured."  

Witness Phairron Price said she and a friend were leaving a club when they heard at least ten shots. 

"My friends ran under the staircase, and I ran back inside to the person we drove with," Price said.

Another witness, Valery Clayton was leaving Opera Nightclub and was heading for her car. 

"It was actually the car right beside my car that someone got shot," Clayton said. "It was like eight shots rang out and everyone was running everywhere." 

As Clayton reported, one man was shot and was laying on the ground beside the car. She was not sure what exactly happened, but thought the first shot was sent into the air.

"When the gun shots rang out, it was two police officers that were hiding behind the truck until the shots actually stopped," Clayton said. 

When the gunfire ended, she said officers put three people in handcuffs. Clayton said she was unsure how many people on the scene had guns, but it sounded to her like two people were shooting.  

"All the specifics on who shot who are still under investigation," Guerrucci said.